Friday, December 7, 2012

The Far Side

  • I liked the presentation of Webcomics by Kayla the other day. It reminded me of my favorite comic series "The Far Side" by Gary Larson. These weren't originally started on the internet, but you can do a google search and find literally hundreds of hilarious single picture comics. That's one of the things I enjoy about these, is that most of them consist of one panel and they are funnier than any Garfield or Family Circus comic. Gary Larson is also a genius, while there are some panels that are flat out hilarious just by sight, there are some that require just a little bit of thinking. To me, there's two types of comedy, a funny hilarious on the spot funny, and a more complex, punchline based funny. I personally prefer the latter, because if you have to think about it, and when it finally clicks and you get it, it's even funnier than just a straight up joke or in-your-face kind of funny. I also like the distinct "art-style" so to say, and that is something that I notice with every single type of newspaper comic. They are all different from each other and some art styles I like ( Charlie Brown, Foxtrot, Calvin and Hobbes) and some that I think look disgusting ( Pearls Before Swine, Non Sequiter, Hagard the Horrible). Gary Larson, however, has made me laugh out loud, and the most I get out of any of those other comics is a slight chuckle. They're great, they're funny and I wish they kept making them, but unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Here are some good ones, and some that you kind of have to think about to get.




No comments:

Post a Comment